Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Training is about telling people what they should and should not do…

…. now before you all set up a car-share and drive up to Cheshire with pitch-forks and burning torches baying for my blood,

I must stress that the title of this blog post does not reflect my own thoughts. Allow me to explain…

I work in a highly regulated Industry which is not only regulated by several Industry specific bodies, but like everybody else, by the Health & Safety Executive.

Given the extremely high importance which we apply to safety, we have a Compliance Department which contains a number of H&S Advisers, who interpret the various rules, regulations and red tape and then provide guidance and direction to the organisation on how to meet those rules and regulations.

Over the past few years I have on occasions found myself at odds with some of these advisers over the fact that best-practice L&D thinking/practice doesn’t always fit with HSE ‘training delivery‘.

So it was not without some self-interest that I brought the forthcoming eLearningNetwork event, Innovation in Compliance Training to the HSE’s attention via their Twitter account. It was my hope that they would attend the event and gain a flavour as to how L&D professionals were attempting to enhance competence and not just ‘tick boxes’. Whilst also allowing people such as myself an insight in what exactly the HSE require; is it a box ticked to cover a backside, is it an intervention that has a real chance of being transferred back into the workplace, or is it both? I really wanted to hear what they wanted and not how their wishes were interpreted by workplace providers.

At the time of writing this post I have not received any indication as to whether they intend to attend or not, but what they did send me was this document (isn’t that kind of them).

Like I said training is about telling people what they should and should not do……

Now I know why I have been having such an uphill struggle ;-)


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment